Thursday, April 10, 2008

Phoenix NMBS Part 2


Saturday I was tired.  My legs felt a little worked and rightly so.  I ate breakfast at the hotel, then I heard the luna girls talking about this amazing breakfast place, Flap Jacks, and I figured, eh I could eat.  Ohran and I headed over to Flap Jacks to see what the noise was about, and it was amazing.  They made this oven-baked pancake that was like a huge pop over(my grandma makes them).  It was the best breakfast I have had in a really long time.
My dismal showing in the super gradual downhill with a headwind meant that I had a bad call up for the Short Track.  This allowed me to practice moving up in the pack, and since it started on a downhill into a hike a bike, I was going to need all the cross skills I had.  Running up a sandy hill in what are essentially full carbon road shoes with toe spikes, was an experience that I recommend to everybody.  I had a decent start and was on Trevor's wheel.  As we were running up the hill, some big guy who looked kinda like a fat white baboon stiff armed Trevor into a bush causing him to sprawl out onto his face while he was trying to get his bike away from him so that he didn't impale himself on his pedal.  Despite the fact that this was quite amusing, I decided that we needed revenge on this out of control monkey.  Fortunately baboons have problems with balancing on their bicycles.  That combined with the help of the only tree within 500 miles, led to a nice ending to the baboons quest for victory.  All in all it was a pretty good short track, top 20 in the pros and 2nd U-23.
I decided to race the Cross Country with a camel back in an attempt to avoid curling up under a tree drinking water for ten minuets after the first lap.  This worked pretty well, however I still felt terrible.  I felt bad all race and didn't think that I did that well, however I won (U-23) so I guess that I can't complain too much because everybody else had a longer day than me. 

1 comment:

Ben Kraushaar said...

mitchell you are SOOO FAT