Friday, March 20, 2009

Chile

That's right, I am in Chile.  I am in a hotel about 6,000 ft above Santiago, Chile and am surrounded by 18-22 thousand foot peaks.  I would show you pictures, but I forgot a camera and a picture really wouldn't capture how this place looks.  I did ride my bike for a little over 4 hours today, but hang on, I am ahead of myself.
Let me start from Atlanta because it is where the story really begins.  I was able to fly in first class from Atlanta to Chile and slept very well after gorging myself on ice cream sundays.  After arriving I headed straight for the customs agent so that I could beat the mob and get out quickly.  Little did I know that I was about to get slammed with another fee on top of the $300 bike charge.  For those of you who have never been to Chile,  apparently every American citizen has committed a crime against the Chilean government and therefore must pay $131 in  a "reciprocity" fee before being allowed to enter the country.  I was completely unaware that my birth was a crime against the people of Chile.  At least they didn't charge me a late fee. 
Back to the ride.  I started the ride with tad and had the idea of just doing a kinda easy 2 hour ride.  We started climbing up the road towards the ski resort that was at the end of the paved road.  From there we road around a little bit and then headed out towards this place called Colorado.  After climbing dirt road switchbacks for an hour, Tad said that it was time for him to turn around.  I wanted to go to the top of the ridge and see what was on the other side.  Well once I got to the ridge, it was so amazing that I had to go up to the next little peak.  This continued on and on and I ended up climbing for 4 hours, went above sections of snow (it is the end of summer here) and got up to around 13000 ft before I ran out of water.  To put this into perspective, imagine doing 4 snowbird widowmaker hillclimbs back to back and then have the top of the mountain be 7000 ft above you covered in glaciers.  It was crazy and absolutely beautiful.  I have never seen anything like it.  I was above all plant life.  No bushes, grass, or anything.  I could see glacier covered peaks all around me and not one person.  It was most definitely one of my top five rides of all time.  Yes, I may have fried my legs for Sundays Continental Championships, but I have tomorrow to recover and it was worth it.  I hope you all get in at least one epic ride this year.  It will show those clowns at AIG what life is really about. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing!! I wish I could be there with you. Get some rest for sure tomorrow so you are ready for the race, ok?

Indohran said...

One question. Did you fly to Chile on Vacation or to race?
What the heck is this?
Monavie-Cannondale Epic Touring around the World? then if you feel like it if there is a race you might show up????

Mitchell Peterson said...

Both, but as I stated at the end I was there for Continental Championships.

Mitchell Peterson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That "reciprocity" fee is fair. Is in response to the fee that the US Embassy in Chile apply to every chilean that go to your country.

Chilean must pay USD 131 to get a visa, accepted or denied.

By the way, nice blog ;)