Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pizza is Better After a Walk

Trevor's dad, Blake, was kind enough to drive me from the NMBS venue to my hotel near the airport.  (I had to stay at the airport because I had a 4:30 am flight in order to get back home in time for classes) The stupid and I am pretty sure high check in guy told me that there was no food within walking distance and that I was just going to have to starve.  This was not an option for me seeing as how I had just finished the cross country race earlier that day and had not eaten anything.  Time to bust out the GPS.  I found out that there was a Pizza Hut about 1.5 miles away.  I figured that would be an easy walk.  I didn't realize that it went straight through a pretty sketchy part of Tempe.  The way down was fine, and although my legs burned I was feeling pretty good.  By the time that I got my pizza the sun had set.  This set up a pretty funny situation.  A skinny white kid with a large stuffed crust pizza with a TomTom GPS on top in one hand, and replying to text messages with the other, walking past homeless people and sketchy dudes sitting at bus stops asking him for money, booze, tobacco, and weed.  I guess that they figured that I must either be high or drunk to walk around at that time of night.  I was in constant fear of being stabbed.  I made it unscathed back to my hotel room, and I must say that that was the best pizza I have ever had.  I highly recommend that people walk 3 miles before enjoying a pizza.  It not only helps burn the calories, but it tastes much better too.  However for legal reasons I have to say that I would avoid all sketchy areas as much as possible.  

No comments: