Saturday, May 24, 2008

May in Salt Lake


I have to train hard for the next month because I have World Championships in Italy coming up soon.  Yesterday I was supposed to go for a hard 4 hour ride up the cottonwood canyons.  However because I am the quintessential slacker that I am, and because it was raining when I woke up, I didn't.  Instead I looked at the snow report and saw that Snowbird had 14" of new snow.  Skiing it was.  It was amazingly good.  I am not saying it was the best day skiing, but it was a good powder day.  Very few people, as it was a week day in summer, and good snow.  This meant that I could ski as fast as I could.  I love skiing fast, the old ski racer in me comes out and it is just a rush you can't get anywhere else.  Plus, there is nothing better than freshies to remove the pain of overheating the Saturday before.  Every trip back up the lift I was thinking, "It is the 23rd of May. This is incredible.  At this time last year I was picking daisies and frolicking in the wild flowers, craziness."  Eventually it started to get warm and the snow thickened, so I went home.
By the time that I got home, the sun had come out and the roads had dried up.  Perfect for a bike ride.  I got my lazy ass in gear and got in my full ride.  That is why I love living in Salt Lake.  Drive for 15 minutes and am skiing knee deep powder, then in the afternoon head out for a 4 hour ride.  The mountains are my playground. 

No comments: